Monday, June 1, 2015

Fixer Upper #2!

Even though I haven't added to this blog in a year and a half (holy crap, time flies)... I still have an alarming number of page views every day.  Amazingly, some of my posts have been re-pinned hundreds and hundreds of times.  Apparently that means I need to keep blogging about all my handy-dandy Martha Stewart-ness!

Since finishing the remodel of my Lil Red House... I have graduated college, changed careers, (sadly) moved to another state, and completely remodeled yet another major fixer upper.  Our newest house was an even BIGGER project than our last house - but we love the way it turned out and are really starting to settle into our new digs.  It doesn't hurt that the funky cottage we bought is on a half acre of land with a river in our backyard.  I wasn't super happy about leaving our old house and moving here in the first place, but I have to admit...it's pretty amazeballs.  

Our new house was a 1970's turd ball when we bought it.  It was dirty, had a weird layout and was last updated before I was born.  We only bought the property because of the land it was on, and the potential it had to be a really cool place to live and entertain.  I was adamant that I didn't want to tackle another major remodel so soon after being forced to sell our last house...but that's just the way it worked out.  All of the so-called "turn-key" houses we looked at were boring, cookie-cutter crap and we couldn't see ourselves forking over a bunch of cash for a vanilla house we'd want to change anyway.  So, true to form, we bought the worst house on the street for a smoking deal and proceeded to start swinging the sledge hammer all willy-nilly like. 

The only thing we kept in our house were the walls and the interior doors.  Absolutely everything else had to go... The yellow light switches, brass light fixtures, brass door knobs, electric baseboard heaters, baby blue wood paneling, rusty aluminum windows, faux-marble Formica, the entire white-washed kitchen, every ounce of poorly-painted trim and every square foot of stained flooring HAD TO GO.  Even the exterior needed a major overhaul.

I made sure to take before, during and after pictures during our grueling 6-month remodel with the intent of posting them all here... So, I guess I better get to work! 

Stay tuned to see how THIS.....




Turned into this....








No comments:

Post a Comment