Sunday, June 9, 2013

Tile Backsplash

I knew I wanted to add a tile backsplash to the bathroom to help the faux granite counter look a little more "high-end"...but I had no idea how I was going to accomplish it.  I know HOW to set tile, but I didn't have access to any of the tools I needed...most importantly, a tile saw.  I picked out a really pretty glass tile at Home Depot anyway... "I'll figure out how I'm gonna install it later."

Traditionally, tile is set using mud... You stir the dry mud mix with water in a bucket and then spread it on the wall using a trowel then set the tile in it.  It sounds simple, but the mixture has to be the perfect consistency and the whole process is just a goopy mess.  No thanks.  Plus, I didn't wanna spend money on a bunch of tools and stuff I would only use once with a lot of leftovers.  If only there was a simpler method.  Oh, wait...there is.

I Googled "tile backsplashes for dummies" (not joking) and I came across this brilliant invention called a tile setting mat.  It's basically like super sticky double-sided tape for tile.  You peel off the plastic backing, stick it to the wall and then stick your tile to it.  It doesn't get any easier than that!

I didn't read the instructions or warnings on the package about how and where to use this stuff (shocking, I know) but I would never use it in a shower or anywhere the weight of the tile was unsupported.  Meaning, I wouldn't let this sticky stuff be the ONLY thing defying gravity and holding the tile to the wall.  But that's just paranoid me.  It's probably capable of a lot more than I give it credit for, but I'll only know that for sure if I ever get around to reading the instructions...so, don't hold your breath.  The weight of my backsplash was being supported by the counter top itself, so I felt confident that this would work well...

I bought small, rectangular glass tiles in 12" x 12" sheets and then cut the mesh backing to create strips of tile in the height I wanted.  I totally screwed up the drywall when I ripped off the existing Formica "backsplash" so, I made it tall enough to cover up the mess... 

Note the tile setting mat on the right...it's clear, so it's kinda hard to see.  The tile I chose wasn't exactly light in weight, so it's definitely sticky...


Attaching the tile to the wall was the easy part...but now came my biggest problem.  I had no idea how I was gonna cut the tile to fit into the corners and around the edges.  I assumed I would have to fork over 40 bucks to rent a tile saw at Home Depot to make a half a dozen cuts, but not before I tried every other (totally unsafe) method of cutting the tile myself first.  I tried scoring the back of the tile with a razor knife and then breaking it with a chisel and hammer, but it totally shattered, as expected.  Hmmm...what else could I try?  Bingo!  I'll see if my dad has an angle grinder!  Which he did, of course...

If you don't know what an angle grinder is, it's a hand-held tile saw almost.  It has lots of non-tile uses, but it's a tool owned and heavily used by every tile setter in the country, if not the world.  It works well for making small tile cuts, which is exactly what I needed...

Beware though, glass tile chips off and shoots at your face when you cut it!  Here I am sporting sunglasses while cutting it to protect my peepers...


Cutting the tile was super easy and I was able to fill in the corners and gaps with no problem... Next up, grout. 

I did buy a grout float when I bought my tile, so I was actually prepared for this step.  A float is a tool used to press grout in between tiles.  You can buy dry grout and mix it with water yourself (a lot like the goopy, tile-setting mud) or you can buy it pre-mixed and ready to spread in a tub like this...



Since I have a million house-remodeling projects in the works right now, I happily opted for pre-mixed grout.  One less step for me.  I chose the color "Linen" which is a beige-y, neutral color.  It goes with almost everything.  (Don't ever buy white grout, you will regret it eventually.) I also bought tile caulk in the same color for around the edges, in the corners and along the counter.  Grout naturally shrinks, cracks and crumbles over time...the caulk keeps the grout looking like it did on day one. 

Spread and slather and push and mush the grout in EVERY single nook and cranny.  The tile will be mostly covered in grout and if it's really, really messy...that means you're doing it right.

Wahoo!!!  I actually remembered to take some "during" pictures!  Maybe I'm getting better at this...






After the tile is totally covered in grout, use a really big sponge and a bucket of clean water to wash it off.  The grout will stay in the grout lines, but it'll wash off the tile itself.  This part is gonna take some time and lots of washings.  Just keep wiping it down until the tile isn't cloudy anymore.  And then wipe it down one more time for good measure.  Make sure to get the grout off the walls as soon as possible, because grout is very gritty and it WILL remove the paint if you try to wash it off after it's dry.  I promise.




The grout will be totally dry in about 24 hours, but you'll need to wait at least 48 hours for the grout to cure before sealing it with grout sealer.  Sealer protects grout against stains and discoloration.  Don't skip this step!




The whole backsplash took me a total of 2 hours at the very most... It was super easy and I love the outcome.  It gives the bathroom a "richer" feel even though it only cost about 85 bucks... It would have cost less if I wasn't seduced by a sparkly, pretty glass tile that cost 14 dollars per square foot.  Oh well...money well spent, in my opinion.





Okay, break's over... Time to go mow the front lawn!






No comments:

Post a Comment