Friday, April 12, 2013

I Love Home Depot

You're going to hear that a lot if you get suckered into following this blog.  "I love Home Depot."  It's my favorite store.  I love the smell of freshly cut lumber when you first walk in, I could live in the outdoor gardening area and I think it's fun that I'm allowed to bring my 100-pound puppy into the store with me.  Which is strange because his goofy mug generates a lot of attention and I hate talking to strangers...or even non-strangers for that matter.  And then he's totally in the way the entire time I'm trying to shop.  And then he barks at the other dogs and I feel like a failure as a puppy mama.  And one time he peed on a potted plant and I was mortified.  Wait, why do I like taking him there?  Never mind...moving on.

I've been compiling a "THINGS TO BUY IMMEDIATELY" list while waiting for the mortgage junk to go through, and the second those keys are in my tiny fist I'm zipping over to the glorious super store.  Some of my must-haves include:

~~Painting tools and supplies up the waazoo.  I have 1200 square feet of house that is screaming for color!

~~Hand tools and basics:  hammer, level, tape measure, caulk gun, saw horses, ladder, etc.
~~Lawn mower.  I'm gonna have to force myself to focus on the house and take a rain check on the exterior for now...but a shaggy lawn is simply unacceptable!
~~Power tools: I already have an awesome drill a very smart boy bought me for Christmas, but I want a circular saw, a chop saw a palm sander and either a jig saw or saws all.  And I reeeeaalllly want an air compressor and a nail gun and a paint sprayer (and, and, and) ....but I can't justify buying EVERY thing I want if I'm gonna stay within my goal budget.  Luckily, I have a super handy Padre who I'm sure wouldn't mind loaning a few gadgets to his eldest daughter.  (Hint, hint.)

I'm actually giddy at the thought of a cart full of tools.  I wonder if I can register for House Warming gifts at Home Depot...?  I'm making a mental note to check on that later... 


I think this monstrosity will be one of the first "transformation" projects I tackle.  As you can see it is tall, dark, and UN-handsome.  It smells old and has faded, peeling, floral contact paper inside.  I think it's original purpose was to make more of a designated dining area, but it's overbearing and it makes the room feel dark and cramped.  




I had the idea to bust off the top shelving portion of the cabinet (oooh, I need to add a sledge hammer to my list) and turn the bottom cupboards into a sorta buffet/bar/storage thingy.  It'll still segregate the dining area without blocking out the freaking sun.  I'd get rid of it all together, but it's been parked there for over 50 years and I'm sure the wood flooring that's been hidden underneath won't look anything like the rest of the floor...and that will turn me into a crazy(er) lady. 

My first instinct is to paint it JET BLACK.  My first instinct is to paint everything jet black.  About 90% of my furniture is jet black.  It's a problem.  I'm addicted.  But, I'm going to fight the urge and doing something really funky and colorful with it instead...I'm not telling you what though.  You'll just have to keep reading to find out....


No comments:

Post a Comment